Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Knowing Spiritual Truths

Knowing Spiritual Truths

The dialogue between Pontius Pilot and Christ is fascinating. One, an influential worldly leader of the great empire of the day, and the other a King, who’s kingdom was not of this world. I think Pilot, though never considerate beyond necessity of the tradition of the Jews, and being himself under a polytheistic point of view, was nonetheless struck with some sense of wonder at the presence of One who was, thought uncomprehending to him, his very Creator. As they ended their primary interaction Christ declared “To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.” Pilot responds in what I interpret to be sarcastic tones, “What is truth?”

As a young, inexperienced Latter-day Saint missionary I was placed in a foreign land where it was my charge to convince people of spiritual truths. Latter-day Saint missionaries had been in Argentina for decades, and as a result many people, particularly religious leaders of other faiths, had built up arguments, theological and otherwise, against us, and passed them onto their congregations as a type Mormon missionary repellant. I took many of these arguments and studied vigorously to thoroughly disassemble the misrepresentations and half-truths. At the time I believed that the way to convince men of spiritual truths was to dispute their errors by means of theological debate. But I would later learn a lesson, a lesson I have sometimes forgotten.

I had some successes. But, strange to relate, they never came by means of convincing somebody with whom I had engaged in said theological debate, sometimes termed “Bible-bashing.” Regardless of the sophistry, logic, backing, or dominance I thought to have displayed in my arguments, nobody ever stopped and said, “I never really thought about it that way. You’re right. I’m wrong. What was I thinking?” Instead I was met with hostility and hurt feelings. My father had a similar experience, and I later understood why it is he had counseled me to not “Bible-bash.”

I was transferred to city called Federal, and met with my new companion Elder Luke Stone. Elder Stone had had considerable success in the city, and I looked forward to learning from him. He was a tall, athletic fellow, who had a quiet dignity about him. His Spanish was impeccable, his convictions unwavering, and he had a broad understanding of scriptures and doctrine. I would learn that these factors, though contributing, were not the reason for his successes. Elder Stone’s success came because loved the people, and understood how spiritual truths were learned.

Elder Stone studied diligently to find the answers to gospel questions, and as previously stated had a broad knowledge of scriptures and doctrine. Notwithstanding his religious education he never succumbed to the temptation to dispute. If somebody had an honest inquiry, he would expound, but never in the name of supremacy. I haven’t always been able to maintain the restraint and nobility that Elder Stone taught me, particularly after my mission experience. But I can attest that the great things I was able to accomplish in my mission were a direct result of loving those who I taught, forgoing the invitation to contend, and coming to a knowledge of how one gains a witness of the truth of God.

Spiritual knowledge cannot be obtained by the scientific reasoning, scriptural debate, historical research, or otherwise. Though it is intriguing to align secular and scriptural geographical and chronological histories, or scientific and scriptural parallels, yet comprehending these alignments is insufficient to convince the human soul of the validity of the scriptures or of the spiritual truths contained therein. Some remain unconvinced of the spiritual truths due to seeming illogical and physics-defying occurrences such as a dividing sea, a burning bush that does not consume, or the chemical transformation of water into wine just to name a few. I think it would be easy from a non-Christian standpoint to dismiss the scriptures as little more than folktale. Thus in order to even engage in any Christian theological debate the parties involved must first have some mutual agreement on some Christian fundamentals. If these fundamentals are not agreed upon, there’s really no debate to be had. If they are, the debate never goes anywhere anyways.

How then can anybody know the truth of spiritual things? First, one must want to receive them. Desire cannot be forced. Frankly, most people don’t want to know or believe. They dismiss their apathy by claiming that religion subjugates its followers by binding them to regulations imposed for the purpose of depriving the same of their freedom and property. Incident to this philosophy leads the apathetic to “walk in [their] own way, after the image of [their] own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.” But for those who desire to believe is given the invitation, “Go ye fourth of (or from) Babylon.”

Second, if one desires to know a spiritual truth(s), they must live and obey the principles upon which the witness of that truth is based upon. Christ declared, “If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” If our only desire is to know God’s truths, but are simultaneously unwilling to live by them should they be made known unto us, why would He give us a witness of their veracity? Requisite to knowing God’s truth is witnessing unto Him that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of His Son, as daunting as that is. In so doing we develop a sincere heart, real intent, and faith in Christ.

Finally, we are instructed to ask. Christ taught “I say unto you, ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” James implores, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” Moroni declares, “And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.”

Paul declared that “the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God (or the Holy Ghost): for they are foolishness unto him.” The only way to gain a witness of the truth, or to gain spiritual knowledge, is by the spirit, or the Holy Ghost. I attest that a man can receive this spiritual witness, insomuch that belief, through faith, can become knowledge. I do not know the truth of all things, but I know that the God of Israel is the one true God, that he loves His sons and daughters insomuch that he sent his Only Begotten Son to bear our griefs, and carry our sorrows, and act called the Atonement. I know that through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. And I know that the Gospel in its fullness was restored through a true Prophet, who both saw and heard the Father and the Son, two distinct beings whose brightness and glory defied all description. I know these things because I have received that witness, as can all who so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment