Sunday, July 18, 2010

Like most of my ambitious projects, this one will probably die as fast as it was born. But I will continue it for now as it seems to me an intriguing pursuit. There are two things which people hesitate talking about, which are, ironically, the two things they think strongest about; politics and religion. I find that my thinking is strongest, and my discoveries greatest, when my ideas are challenged. So it is with that intent that I have started this blog; respectful and insightful dialog, or poly-log, which confronts the ideas of this life (politics) and the life to come. (religion) It has been my experience that so long as parties sustain mutual respect they can disagree and still maintain love and friendship. If this is not the case, I will terminate the blog. Chances are I will only be writing to myself anyways.

I served an LDS (Mormon) mission in Argentina. The Mission President at the time was a man named Hyde Merrill, an electrical engineer who graduated with his Ph.D from MIT. A man who I try and model myself after. One day my companion and I were speaking with President Merrill. My missionary companion, an excellent missionary, but one who felt he needed to know all the answers to every question, drilled President Merrill with everything he could think of until finally President offered, "I keep two lists. A list of questions to which I have not yet found the answers, and a list of old questions to which I feel I have." I have thought over and over again about the profound wisdom found in that statement. Life is about inquiry. It can be an adventure learning who we are, what we're doing here, and where we're going hereafter. I find it a great blessing that the Lord has seen fit not to deprive us this adventure. But if we have to have all the answers before we accept any, how can we follow and obey God? All disciplines require faith at one level or another. No human being has all the answers.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your writing....very thought provoking indeed!! I think you should continue...and consider EVERY side. Being a member of the gay community I wonder why some things in religion follow the bible to a T and others are overlooked....no anger here just keeping the conversation flowing! :) Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, with the talk's we've had about religion, politics, and everything else arounds us I've thought about starting a blog as well. Both of your post are very interesting and I hope I can contribute someway or another to keep the post going. I will let you know once the my blog is up and running, Your imput would be appreciated. Bryan

    ReplyDelete